Question about Time Capsule (vs. Base Station)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benmrii, Sep 1, 2009.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm on the verge of replacing my older base station with the Airport Extreme Base Station but I also have the option of purchasing a 500GB Time Capsule. I wasn't looking too closely at Time Capsules, but having one more backup never hurts and the price difference between the two makes me seriously consider upgrading to the TC.

So here are my questions:

1) if the HDD fails in a Time Capsule will the wireless router functionality continue to work?

2) are there any differences between the capabilities of the current Airport Extreme Base Station that are better than the 500GB Time Capsule, or are their differences purely one has a 500GB HDD and the other doesn't?

I appreciate your help, thanks!

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, TC is AEBS with an internal hard drive. The AEBS portion should continue to work without the drive. (I have no experience, or proof of this, but if Apple designed any differently, I would be very surprised).

I went for TC as it gives me another backup point significantly separated from my computer (improving likelihood data will survive a small fire or theft).

Either box will allow an external HD, but that would require another wall wart (or a small portable HDD). With the TC, you can add and remove the external drive if you want to backup the TC.

3. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

Thanks.

I'd be very surprised too, and I certainly speculate that is the case, but any chance anyone here has actually experienced that the HDD failing does not effect the wireless router functionality?

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have had TM backups fail using my 500GB TC and the wireless internet still worked fine.