Question about Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Krayzie116, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I hope I posted this in the right section. I couldn't find in the search either.

The question I have is well let me start off what I'm wanting to do. I am a graphic designer, I have an 27" iMac and 17" Macbook Pro.

When I design something on the iMac and let say I go to the coffee shop can I access my files to the Time Capsule by remote access or is there a way you can do that with out having your iMac turn on. I hate to hook up my USB Hard Drive to my iMac and get the files then put it on my Macbook Pro make changes and have to put it back on the iMac to open there.

Thanks for you guys time and help

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I think a NAS would work better for what you intend. You can set up an FTP server, and if you so choose you can use DDNS to make it easier to access (if your ISP provides you with a dynamic IP address for example).

It may be possible to do what you want with a Time Capsule, but I'd imagine it would be more difficult than with a NAS.

3. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, I have no idea how to setup those things lol I thought maybe Time Capsule would allow you do it.

I see this on youtube not sure it will work for me so confused :confused:

http://youtu.be/SIQ7SzA1cK4

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

That looks like it might work, but I haven't tested it myself. A comment on that video also states that there may be a security issue with the password being sent as plain text.

Do you already have an AirPort Extreme as a router? If so, the same thing can be accomplished as in that video if you connect a USB HDD to the Extreme's USB port.

Really, I can only recommend the Time Capsule if you're looking for an integrated router and hard drive to do Time Machine backups. I've used it as a NAS and the performance is subpar. If you already have a router, a NAS would be probably cheaper than the TC and more fully featured. I'm sure there would be online tutorials on setting up an FTP from the different manufacturers as well.