Question about time machine and master password

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NeutronDecker, Dec 27, 2008.

1. NeutronDecker macrumors newbie

Hey people i have a problem.... When i purchased my mac about a year ago i set up accounts & passwords for everyone in the family. I also setup a master password. It's now been a year..I recently tried to change the password to one of the accounts..it asked me for the master password...I CANNOT REMEMBER IT....:mad: I have tried every password i can remember..i even tried some ex-girlfriends names with no luck. My question is since I've been using time machine to backup my system. If i format the mac and restore it from a backup...will the master password be on the restored mac?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

A master password is a secured password used by FileVault to encrypt home folders of users on which its enabled. You shouldn't be asked for it when you want to change another user account's password. Are you certain its not asking for an administrator password? If so there's a way to reset the administrator password by booting to the OS restore disc and bringing up the password reset utility. If however it is the master password that's hanging you up, you cannot remove/reset it without reformatting the computer. I would have to assume (but can't verify with 100% certainty) that restoring the computer from a backup would re-introduce the master password issue.

3. NeutronDecker thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm certain it's not asking for the admin password. I tried it. Most of my accounts are standard users. There is only one account on the machine with admin rights...it is only used to change settings or install updates. Thanks for your advice.