Question about Time Machine and new external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mpemburn, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mpemburn macrumors member

Hi,

I've searched for this here and elsewhere and have not found a satisfactory answer as yet. Here's my problem:

I've been using Time Machine on my MacBook for a year and change, backing up to an external LaCie 500GB drive. Recently I acquired a 1TB drive to replace this and find that there's apparently no easy way to get the Time Machine database from the old drive to the new. I used Carbon Copy Cloner (as someone here suggested) and it got everything but the TM data. I've tried copying individual folders from within the old TM data structure but it tells me it's "Sorry" and refuses to do it. I would hate to have to start from scratch with TM since it has occasionally saved my bacon by finding old versions of files that I desperately needed. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

MacBook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
    3GB
    160GB HD
    Leopard (10.5.8)

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Try this http://njmac.blogspot.com/2008/11/move-time-machine-backups-to-new-volume.html

3. mpemburn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Tumbleweed666.

Oy, I sure don't want to go through the hours that it'd take to move everything again. Think I'll just keep the old drive as a fall-back and hook it up to TM if I ever need to get something older than what's on the new drive. Eventually, it'll all become obsolete (like in a year) and I can give the old drive to my wife.

Thanks Apple -- this is one you didn't think through too well.

Mark