Question about Time Machine backups of applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmre5150, May 31, 2008.

1. jmre5150 macrumors member

jmre5150

Ok, just upgraded to Leopard last night (yeah, I waited long enough). It works great for files, docs, iTunes, etc...but I noticed that after I deleted a bunch of apps (mainly games), every backup all the way back to yesterday (my first backup) has the applications missing.

I'm guessing TM does NOT keep copies of old apps after you delete them? I simply can't find them on any backup.

Any help would be excellent. I'd really appreciate your assistance.

2. jmre5150 thread starter macrumors member

jmre5150

Disregard this post. It seems TM works fine remembering applications you've deleted...IF you delete them the normal way (deposit in trash can).

I deleted those apps using AppZapper, which deleted all instances of the app from all backups in TM. I decided (after speaking with AppleCare) to delete apps the regular way. Ran backup, and sure enough, worked perfectly.

Moral of the story: Unless you are absolutely certain you NEVER want that app back, don't use AppZapper (man, I love that program, seriously). Just delete the program like normal, if you are uncertain if you'll ever want it back again from a TM backup.

Peace.

3. CJKAllen macrumors newbie

If you use the AppZapper Program when the external HDD is not attached and the program has already been backed up on it, will AppZapper delete it from the TimeMachine back up next time it reconnects or will I always be able to access it from the external HDD?