Question about Time Machine-What type of hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markw10, Oct 16, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I just placed my preorder today for a family pack of Leopard. One thing I'm looking forward to is Time Machine.
    I have two macbook pros for me and my fiancee, a Mac Mini, and sometime soon an iMac I don't store sensitive data on the Mac Mini or iMac so backups aren't a big concern to me.
    My main concern is the two Macbook Pro's which we both depend on for work. I have a external firewire drive that I back up to approximately once a week and store in a fireproof save. I use SuperDuper so create a complete bootable mirror of them.
    I also have an Airport Extreme Base Station with a Western Digital 500GB hard drive. I store some items on that such as 70GB directory of clip art and also other important temp files and files that we use among the 4 computers. We have around 300GB free. We also use Chronosync which nightly backs up important directories such as Safari Bookmarks, accounting data, documents, mail data files, etc.
    Now with Time Machine I'm not sure how to change my plans. I plan to do the two backups which are stored in the safe but will Time Machine work with my Base Station Hard Drive? Both MacBook Pro's have around 100GB of data on them and I'm confused if it would need 100GB to back up or less or more.
    Am I better off getting a firewire drive that has to start on each MacBook Pro for it to work or will it work with a networked drive?
    If networked am I better off getting a 2nd dedicated base station drive or is a pure ethernet hard drive faster in speed?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can encrypt the backups actually.

Yes.

You'll need the same space as you have data for. So 100GB x 2 drives would be 200GB. Time Machine does an initial backup and then only records data that has changed. So the initial backup will be large but after that very small, unless you add a lot of photos or movies.

And yes you can backup both drives to one backup drive. Tim Machine apparently uses a database for each backup so you can put as many on a drive as you have space for.

The networked drive will work fine.

If you're using draft "n" then go wireless and save yourself the hassle. If not, then it really depends on if you want to take a little extra time using "g" speeds or not.

I'm not quite sure if you can do the initial backup via ethernet and then hook it up to the network or not. If you can that's the way to go.

I hope that info helps! Also, there's a Time Machine FAQ somewhere on the site.

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Have you used a network drive with Time Machine, QuarterSwede?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, but others have and have responded:

see # 8 of Time Machine FAQ

from reading the posts you can see that it will work with a NAS or ethernet drive.

5. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

You really have to be accurate when discussing technical subjects.
    You cant just use a network mounted drive.
    From your reference:

8) Can it be done over wifi / network, .mac?
    wifi / network yes to a server, .mac no. (7a, 7b, & 8 provided by Fearless Leader)

From the Apple website:
    Pick a disk. Any disk.

You can designate just about any HFS+ formatted FireWire or USB drive connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive. Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices.

and finally, I just tried what I was already sure of and guess what? Didnt work.

Please be detailed when providing responses, its critical in technical discussions.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

All I know is that others have said that it's worked for them and I stated that. I can't be anymore technical than I was since I don't know anymore than I stated. Must I seriously start putting disclaimers as a footnote of posts now?

7. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

8. stuartea macrumors newbie