Question about time machine...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bootsie, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am planning on selling my early 2008 MBP and buying a new 15" 2.2 this week, but this was my first mac, so I have never transferred from mac to mac.

Will I need to install programs and everything again? (Office, Photoshop, etc...) or can I just use the time machine backup and have it do it for me?

Will they be authorized and everything, or do I need to unauthorize them from the old one, and all of that fun stuff?

Will a time machine backup work well this way, or do I need to use migration assistant?

I will be doing a clean reinstall of the OS on the old one, so I want to make sure it will all work well because I might have to sell the old one a few days before I get the new one.

Thanks for your help!

2. pacers721 macrumors member

time machine will do it all. just make sure you select the "restore from time machine partition" option (or something like that) when installing the OS on the new computer.

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

When you first start up your new mac it will ask if you want to transfer files from an existing computer then you can plug in your time machine backup and migration assistant will transfer over all your files and applications.

4. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Sweet, thanks! So I don't have to worry about de-authorizing the old macbook at all right?

5. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

I'm wondering this as well, as I'm selling my old 17". A disk utility erase, followed by a fresh OS install is all that needs to be done, correct? No data can be mined after these two processes?

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

You mean de-authorizing in itunes? If so, it is always a good idea to de-authorize a machine you will be selling etc.

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I think you should be on the safe side and de-authorize Photoshop or any Adobe suite on your old computer after your new one is set up. I think you only get 2 installs for them so you wouldn't want to use up one on an old machine.

8. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I would like to make sure of this too.

9. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

I've always felt it was best to just do a clean install of all my programs than allowing Time Machine "restore" my old setup. I just pull up my old Time Machine and pull any documents, music and etc.

But, that's just me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mik3F macrumors 6502

I used Time Machine with the Mac migration assistant on Sunday to migrate all my data and apps from a 2010 MBP to a 2011 model. Everything worked perfectly fine afterwards

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Same here. Used my Time Machine backup to migrate my 2009 MBP to my 2011 MBP. No glitches at all. Very pleased. Tranferred settings, documents, programs, everthing.

12. KeithnFW macrumors newbie

So if I do a clean install, and migrate everything back, Photoshop should work correctly?

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yes assuming it's working correctly now. :)