Question about time machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Awfisch, May 11, 2011.

1. Awfisch macrumors member

Awfisch

Hi, I'm trying to back up my macbook using time machine over the network. All of the other back ups that I did were done on the same hard drive but via USB. Now, when I try to do it over the local network, I select the back up disc, but it starts backing up in the disk. Instead of inside of backups.backupdb How do I select this folder inside of the disk for time machine to back up to?

Thanks

p.s. Im not using time capsule. Although its probably worth looking into.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Awfisch thread starter macrumors member

Awfisch

What I mean is that I am trying to get it to back up to a specific folder inside of the disk. But Time Machine wants to back up outside of the folder and just on the disk. Here is a screen shot. I am trying to get it to back up inside of Backups.backupdb

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/screenshot20110511at110.jpg

And the router im using is one provided by Qwest. I have the hard drive hooked up to another computer thats on the network.

4. simsaladimbamba, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

simsaladimbamba

removed image from above post
    FALSE
    Yeah, I had the same problem over a network connection. But I did just let TM finish and then the backup was moved inside the backups.backupdb folder, if I remember correctly.
    /FALSE

Btw, you can make screenshots of single windows via CMD+SHIFT+4, then pressing SPACEBAR and clicking on the window or dialog or element. With CMD+SHIFT+4 you can make a selection of the are you want to shoot.

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

that's the problem. see the green box in this user tip.

6. simsaladimbamba

Thanks, seem to have misremembered it. Now I am schlauer, zumindest wenn der Ede ums Eck kommt.

7. Awfisch thread starter macrumors member

Awfisch

Ahh... Okay thanks guys. One last question. Can I start backing up over the network without having to delete my old USB backups? I guess its fine if they are in a different folder, but on the same disk. Will that work?

Thanks

8. simsaladimbamba

No need to delete anything. It will work.

9. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

have you seen this part of the user tip ?