Question about Time Machine.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcgnu, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jcgnu macrumors regular

I hope someone can answer a question I have.

The thing is, I just received my new MacBook Pro (which I love, by the way ;)) and when I plugged in an external hard drive to configure Time Machine, I got a message saying that it needed to be formatted. I actually don't want to format it, if it's possible.

Anyway, I could format it, but I would like to know what File System it's going to use. Basically, it is currently formatted as FAT32, which is cool because I can backup information from PC's and Mac's. If using it with my Time Machine means that it will be formatted as some Apple file system, then I don't want to do it, but if it can remain as FAT32 and still be used with Time Machine, I think I cand really take advantage of it.

Well, thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Time Machine drives have to be formatted Mac only (HFS+) because Time Machine uses some very advanced features of the file system that FAT32 and NTFS don't have.

3. jcgnu thread starter macrumors regular

mmm well, that sucks... anyway, thanks for the help!

just wondering... is it possible to make two partitions on the HDD? if so, will it work with one partition or does it require the whole drive?

thanks!!

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Partition the external drive using Disk Utility. Backup whatever is on the drive first.

Set part of it as FAT32 for your current stuff, and the rest as HFS+ (Mac OS X extended journaled) so that Time Machine can do it's thing.

5. jcgnu thread starter macrumors regular

great!!! thanks a lot... problem solved, then!

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

No worries.

It's a fairly straightforward process, and shouldn't cause you any problems. Did this is mine, and TM works like a charm.