Question about Time Machine.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tonyrage, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Tonyrage macrumors newbie

Im just curious, and I hope some of you will know the answer to this:

I have an intel core2duo Mac mini 1.83 with leopard and have been backing it up with TM in an external HD. I recently bought a powerbook 1.67 G4 with leopard as well. My question is: What would happen/is it possible to restore the powerbook using the info from the mini's TM? I hope I worded that right.

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Pretty sure, as long as you use a 10.5 disc on the Powerbook. I could be wrong, though....

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes this should be fine, the time machine backup doesn't do anything with the OS, it just deals with settings and applications (personal stuff). Thats why you can only restore your data to the hard drive after you have installed the OS. If you use migration assistant as you are setting up the new computer you can transfer all your personal data from the time machine backup. This will make your new computer exactly the same as your original one from a personal data/settings standpoint, but won't mess with the OS or the hardware settings.

If you have already installed and set up leopard on the powerbook and want to restore it go to applications-->utilities-->migration assistant and plug in your time machine external disk.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes it should work, at least you can get all your files from there if restore doesn't work

5. Tonyrage thread starter macrumors newbie

ok! thanks for the replies!!! im trying this right now!

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

7. Tonyrage thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, done...

...its been done for about 4 minutes, and i feel it is probably the best thing i could have done!!!

I got my Ilife08, Lightroom 2, and others in my powerbook now!!! and i might be crazy but... it seems like the mac as a whole is running better. its an exact clone of my mini... me likey