Question about Time Machine.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UnholyMist, May 15, 2010.

1. UnholyMist macrumors newbie

So, I've been a Mac user for about 2 years now. It's a great OS.

I currently have a 2008 (quad-core) Mac Pro that I will be selling to a friend. I've been saving up some money and will be buying an iMac (with money from Mac Pro) and a Gaming PC with my saved money.

My Mac Pro currently has three drives in it - a 230GB drive with the OS, Apps, Music, etc; a 500GB drive with Movies, Photos, etc; and another 500GB drive with Windows 7 and games. I have all my Mac files backed up onto a 1.5TB external drive (of which I have less than 1TB filed).

My question is about file transferring. Will I be able to transfer the files from my backup Mac Pro drive to the new iMac? It has a 1TB drive so space isn't a problem. I'm just kinda worried about how the files will be transferred since it was copied from TWO drives and is going to be copied back onto a SINGLE drive.

Any advice or things I should know? Has anyone tried this before?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I've never restored a multi-drive backup, but I suggest just restoring your system drive and then copying the contents of the other drive over manually.

3. UnholyMist thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean with like a direct connection over USB or something?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Or just manually drag the files onto your Time Machine drive before getting rid of the originals. Like I said, I've never backed up from multiple drives, but the way I'm describing will definitely work.