Question About TimeMachine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spliff, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Spliff macrumors regular

I was wondering if the following would work.

I have a MBP with Leopard installed. I am planning to purchase an external ethernet HDD for backups etc. I am wondering if I can do a time machine backup and then purchase a new MBP (and sell my current one) and then do a time machine restore on the new machine to basically bring it up to date with the data that was on my old machine?

Anyone try this?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As I recall, others have tried and failed.

You'd be better off using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a clone of your drive and then restoring on new machine.

3. unity macrumors 6502a

You should be able to. But if you are not selling the old one until you get the new one, setup can do it for you (transfer information).

4. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reples guys.

I would have thought/assumed that TimeMachine would be able to handle this, and would not want to have to purchase additional cloning software in order to do this (as I wouldn't be doing this that often).

I also would most likely not have both machines at the same time as I would need to sell one in order to fund the other.

5. unity macrumors 6502a

If you dont have both machines, then I guess a transfer would not work.

Carbon Copy Cloner is free and a great tool.

But you should not carbon copy your drive and restore that copy to the new MBP since there will likely be some hardware changes so you may have some issues.

It was my understanding that during Leopard setup you can chose the option to restore from a time-machine backup, just like the data transfer feature introduces with Tiger. So Time Machine restore should be option one.

However you can still create a clone (do not make a disk image) to the external and use the transfer information option. During setup when it asks to transfer your info simply point it to the external drive, it does not have to be another Mac.

Otherwise you could clone and manually transfer the files back.

6. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't know this is free, good to know thanks

I like this option the best, that would be awesome if this is available and does actually work. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

it works, I'm doing it as I type. Had some problems with leopard so done an erase and install. After installation leopard will ask you if you want transfer files from an external disk which has time machine. Various options on it. Mines seems to have worked well