question about Toast

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrWho, Dec 16, 2008.

1. DrWho macrumors newbie

DrWho

when I am putting television shows to dvd which are usually avi or mov formats I chose the dvd option in video and start it, but it takes ages and slows my computer down with the encoding times. Is there anyway to make the process of putting avi and mov files or video files in general to dvd faster?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Other than lowering the quality in the burning options in Toast, you could use the Elgato Turbo.264 hardware encoder to shave some time if you don't mind purchasing it. You can check it out here. BTW- I know the current version supports the Turbo.264, but I am not as sure about the previous version (Toast 8).

3. DrWho thread starter macrumors newbie

DrWho

is there anyway of getting the software without purchasing the usb drive

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No, as it is not just a flash drive. While the case looks like a flash drive, there is onboard video encoding hardware- a separate video signal processor in a manner of speaking. That is what does the actual "heavy lifting" that makes it work, moving much of the encoding process off your Mac to be handled by the Turbo.264.

5. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Well, encoding video does require a lot of processing power, and there's no way around that. Like sickmandoc said, you can take the load off the CPU if you get a hardware encoder.

An option could be to get a dvd/video-player that supports more video formats. Then you'll just have to burn a regular data-dvd if the player supports the files.