Question about top case replacement on my Unibody Late-2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meyer Lansky, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Meyer Lansky macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently replaced my hard drive and RAM on my MBP and decided to give it a complete overhaul by replacing the top case as well, since my old one had a few noticeable dents. I'm using the corresponding iFixit guide, and halfway through, I notice that there's a little rubber pod on the right speaker (the left speaker if you're looking at it from the outside) that isn't on the new top case I'm about to switch on. On the guide (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Late+2011+Upper+Case+Replacement/7532), there's no mention of it, and the MBP in the photos doesn't have it (as seen by the picture at Step 23). There's even a little cord with a connection end stemming from it, but I never disconnected it prior to removing the logic board, which means it was never connected to anything to start out with. Anybody know what this is for and whether I should transfer it to the new top case? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Are the logos on the f3 and f4 keys different between the keyboards and if so how do they differ, could you describe them too.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Check step 22 in that guide. It mentions the microphone, which (I think) is what that short cable is for. Very short, and I think it will simply pull apart when you separate the logic board from the bottom case. There's probably no damage to the connector. The comments on that step 22 mention problems with that step because the short cable can be challenging to re-attach as you re-assemble.

If your replacement case does not have the microphone in that same spot, you likely have to transfer that from the old bottom case to the new one. It should just gently peel off.

4. Meyer Lansky thread starter macrumors newbie

D'oh! Should've realized that earlier. Thanks, guys! Gav, if you're still wondering, the keys are identical.

Now there's a new problem: I finished installing the new top case, but it can't access WiFi, citing "no hardware installed." :confused: I went back and checked that I re-hooked up all the connections, and sure enough, I did. I changed absolutely nothing except for the top case itself. Any ideas? Thanks.

5. Meyer Lansky thread starter macrumors newbie