Question About Torrents And Other Files !!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xcrskim, Jun 24, 2007.

1. xcrskim macrumors member

-when i download certain music files from the internet (sendspace, rapidshare, etc). sometimes some of them don't open up, im guessing this is because its not formatted for mac os x ? how do i fix this so that they will be compatible for my mac ?

-same thing with torrents, some movie files i download dont open up, i've heard of software like tomato torrent and transmission but what exactly do they do ?

thanks in advance.

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Try opening the files you've downloaded with VLC, you could also try and install Perian which will allow Quicktime to play a greater range of files.

EDIT: You may also want to try and install Flip4Mac, to play back Windows Media files in Quicktime.

As for Transmission and Tomato Torrent they are bittorrent programs like Azureus, which are used to download the files, but not play them. If you have a .torrent file you would use one of these programs to download the actual file.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

If you're talking about unziping the files, use stuffit deluxe

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

unzipping files can be done from right within OS X. if you need them unstuffed just used stuffit expander, which is free.

why recommend an expensive app when there is no need? :confused:

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

- What is the extension or type of the music files you download? mp3 or wma...etc?

- Again what is the extension of the file you download. Are they .avi or .wmv or something else?

6. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

If they are .rar files you can download UnRarX...

7. xcrskim thread starter macrumors member

- the music file is wma format i belive
    - the movie is .rar file, can i just use this software i just downloaded called UnRarX ?

8. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yep, open UnRarX and drag the .rar files into it. .Rar files are kinda like zipped files...although for a movie .rar files don't make too much sense via torrents...oh well.