question about track lighting....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Illuminated, May 11, 2011.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

So I was at my local Borders that is closing on Sunday and they were selling everything, from desks, to the light fixtures for their track lighting.

They had 4 light fixtures for track lighting, and I don't know how to mount them.

I attached a picture of them. What kind of transformer should I use for the track, and what kind of track should I use? My goal is to attach the track to the wall right above my desk, or attach it directly onto my desk. I have an attached shelf on my desk so it will go on the top shelf.

Any help and information would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I think that connection type is called "monorail track lighting."

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Can you take a photo of the mounting base from the end? It looks round in these photos, which I have never seen on a track light mounting base.

Also, it's hard to tell from the photo, but the lamp looks bigger than an MR16. Do you have a spec on the type of lamp that is? Does the fixture itself have any identifying labels on it?

You very well may not need a transformer on the track itself. Most track lighting, except small gauge track, runs at line voltage, and each fixture has a transformer built in. Not sure what you have, though.

If it helps, I'm an exhibition lighting designer, so I do a lot of work with track lighting!

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You can try your local lighting showroom store. They may be the best source for the right answer than Home Depot.

5. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

The lamp is a 12 volt/50 watt bulb. No other specs. And yeah, the mounting base is round like a cylinder...What kind of track should I get, and how much will it cost?

6. samiwas, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, then the lamp probably is an MR16. Looked bigger, but hard to tell in a photo.

Without more photos of the mounting base, I can't begin to tell what type it is. I have certainly never seen a round mounting base on a standard track fixture. There are so many different types of track...H, L, J, Lightolier, LSI, Edison Price, Nulux, and the various Monorail types as RawBert mentioned above. The odd part, if it is a monorail connector, is that I can't see how you fit it around the rail...I don't see any break in the long white part (it may be on the back out of the photo).

Tracks are very proprietary...you can't take a fixture off one system and just put it on another system. So whatever track that particular fixture is made for, is what you have to get. Home Depot generally carries only H-type track and fixtures, so I'm pretty sure you won't be picking it up there.

Go to a lighting showroom (a good one...not the lighting department at Lowe's) where they can look at it hands on and give you more information. I never deal with Monorail-style track, so I don't have a whole lot of info for you on that front.

Edit: I does look close to this Monorail lighting base, so....now it remains to find out exactly what manufacturer it is.
    [​IMG]

7. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I've got the boxes. Juno Lighting makes these lights. I can't find a place to buy the tracks online though. It's the Flex 12....

Oh, and theres a cap that screws off on the bottom of the cylinder...

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

Ahh...

Well, HERE is the fixture.

A quick Google Shopping search pulled up THIS place to buy. Don't know how legit they are.

But one of these systems requires numerous components. You'll need the track, various connectors, transformer, hanging hardware. HERE is the link to the Juno Flex 12 System Components page. And HERE is a link to a list of Juno suppliers in Philly (and other cities that start with "P"). Ciro Electrical Supply is on the list. I've dealt with them when doing an install in Philly, and they were nice...have no idea what their Juno knowledge is though.

9. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their website has similar fixtures with the same connection and trac/transformer.

Now I want.

10. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

So, I called a local electric supply company in my area , and I talked to the person who orders from Juno...

...What I need are 2 supports that also gives the current to the 4' track, one track, and a transformer. The transformer is the most expensive part of the entire thing...

Now if I purchase everything, how the hell do I connect it?!

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

It should all come with installation instructions. But, if you don't know what you are doing with electricity, find someone who does. One wrong connection on the line voltage side, and you can have some serious problems.