Question about transferring hard drive between computers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphoneuserinyyz, Dec 16, 2011.

1. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

I am relatively new to the Mac world, so this may turn out to be an elementary question, but here is my situation:

I purchased a new 15" MBP a couple of weeks ago. I installed an SSD to replace the stock drive. I have everything up and running on the SSD. Unfortunately, I am having severe battery life issues, but Apple has agreed to replace the computer with a new unit, and they have agreed to let me keep using the old one until the new one arrives (which would be outside their return window of 14 days because it is a custom order)). (of course, I will have to put the stock drive back into the old computer before returning it, because it was an aftermarket SSD).

When the new computer arrives, can I simply move the SSD from the old computer to the new computer? Will everything work ok? Or will there be problems related to differences in serial numbers, MAC addresses, etc? Any advice welcomed!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

3. iphoneuserinyyz thread starter macrumors member

Any problems anticipated at all?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Same hardware config, same OS version, there is nothing that could create a conflict, you could do a straight up swap without a single hiccup.

5. iphoneuserinyyz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That certainly makes things a little easier!