Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
So- I have windows installed as bootcamp. Just bought parallels so that I can access it from within OS X. Does OS X's TRIM cover this or do I need to enable it specially in windows? I would think OS X actually doesn't cover it since it still access a real hard drive.

Also, if I boot into bootcamp, is TRIM there natively?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
So- I have windows installed as bootcamp. Just bought parallels so that I can access it from within OS X. Does OS X's TRIM cover this or do I need to enable it specially in windows? I would think OS X actually doesn't cover it since it still access a real hard drive.

Also, if I boot into bootcamp, is TRIM there natively?
This is entirely dependent on the drivers on Windows support for TRIM.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
On the Boot Camp side of things. (Note: You are not required to use Apple's full driver set in many cases.)

So if I'm using parallels, but I didn't import the bootcamp, is it still accessing the bootcamp partition? I would assume so, so TRIM is enabled for that part?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
So if I'm using parallels, but I didn't import the bootcamp, is it still accessing the bootcamp partition? I would assume so, so TRIM is enabled for that part?
No, the Boot Camp partition is not used in that case, which means TRIM support will come from OSX.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
No, the Boot Camp partition is not used in that case, which means TRIM support will come from OSX.

Really? I don't think thats so. I looked in the parallels folder in my docs and its only 6.53 MB. Pretty sure it still access the hard drive.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
You said you didn't import Boot Camp.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear.

There are I guess three options.

-Create new windows install
-Import windows bootcamp, basically copying it over and making it all virtual
-simply accessing the bootcamp partition that exists right now

Does that make sense?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear.

There are I guess three options.

-Create new windows install
-Import windows bootcamp, basically copying it over and making it all virtual
-simply accessing the bootcamp partition that exists right now

Does that make sense?
Ahh, I follow you now. In this particular case, though it is using the Boot Camp partition as the basis of your Parallels virtual machine, TRIM support is still provided by OSX.

The ONLY case where TRIM is provided by Windows is when booted into Windows.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Ahh, I follow you now. In this particular case, though it is using the Boot Camp partition as the basis of your Parallels virtual machine, TRIM support is still provided by OSX.

The ONLY case where TRIM is provided by Windows is when booted into Windows.

Ok thanks, you're sure about this? I'm glad to hear though, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.