question about unboxing videos in general

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by meistervu, Aug 8, 2010.

1. meistervu macrumors 65816

Why is it that quite a few unboxing videos I looked at recently (haven't seen any until recently) spent a significant amount of time on the packaging?

From the manufacturers' point of view I can see the importance of it: you want your packaging to stand out. But as a consumer, now that you bought it, it seems that all you care is that the packaging protected its content well, and that it's easy to open, and for some (or many I hope) that the packaging is environmentally friendly. Then hopefully you would keep the box long enough for the returnable period, then recycle it. Unless it's a collectible item.

Or perhaps because the title contain the word "unboxing" one has to spend a significant amount of time talking about the "box."

I am not complaining. It's free speech and I have the choice of not watching them. I am just curious about the phenomenon and looking for an explanation.

2. threezero macrumors 6502

I agree with you 100%. the reason why some manufacture use ridiculously hard to open packagin is for theft prevention.

as consumer i don't appreciated when i pay to bring a product home and have to risk sliding open my fingers to get it apart. In fact my niece who is 7 has cut open her thumb trying to open one of those "plastc safe" packging and thus is no longer allow to open them on her own.

100 thumbs up for company that use environmentally friendly and EASY TO OPEN packagings

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Most unboxing vids I've seen don't really focus on the packaging, per se, but more with what's in the box. I've never really understood the fascination with these vids since, opening a box for a cool toy should be the last thing on your mind. Seeing a video of how the toy WORKS is more interesting.

Personally, I think it's just a medium to show off whatever new toy they've gotten or to give a "hands on" look at whatever it is they've gotten. Don't really care much for packaging (although the packaging my MBP came in was pretty nice).

Really hate those blister packs to BTW