question about uni MBP and MBA superdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by puma1552, Jan 4, 2009.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Not sure if it's best to put this here or in the MBA forum...

I have a MBP, and I would like to have a region 2 DVD player (Japan/Europe) for watching movies with Japanese friends/girls that I can play through the 24 inch LED display.

I was thinking of going to the Apple Japan store and picking up a Macbook Air superdrive (presumably it will be region 2) and just plugging it into the MBP or the USB ports on the LED display when I need to use it, but I was just curious if this would work or if there would be driver issues making it only work with the MBA?

Thanks

2. gotzero macrumors 68040

The MBA has an over-specced USB port, which allowed Apple (violating the USB standard) to make the drive for the MBA and MBA only.

You would have to look into the port voltage output from the LED display to see if it would work with a different computer.

3. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Not true, this isn't the problem with the superdrive. Apple intentionally gimped it.

Here's a tutorial on how to mod the superdrive for use with any other computer.

Honestly, if you just want a DVD player, it'd be way more cost effective to just get another brand... But that's just me.