Question about unlocked iP4's and how mail/data works

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Jul 17, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

So if I buy an unlocked iP4 and trim my providers SIM so it fits in the miniSIM iP4 slot, am i still stuck with only being able to use my current email only? How would app downloading, surfing and checking other email accounts work?

How do legit iPhone carriers deliver data to the iPhones and how are people able to check multiple accounts on an iPhone?

Surely this is something unlocked phones ON non-iPhone networks cannot accomplish right?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you mean use your current email only? You can setup any email and multiple email accounts on the phone thru settings. You can download apps thru itunes or thru the appstore app just like any other iphone. You can go online thru wifi or if you have a data plan with your provider you can use that data when away from wifi.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

That's what I'm talking about. My current carrier doesn't really have any data plans. Well they do but only for their proprietary ghetto "PC mail" viewer. I'm confused as to how data on an unlocked iP4 would work with a carrier that isn't set up for the iP4. Setting up 5 email accounts in the iP4 prefs is one thing but how would my current carrier retrieve emails from those accounts if the carrier isn't set up for the iPhone? And even if it could manage the data fees would be huge because it's only the true iPhone carrier that has proper unlimited iPhone data plans here.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Data is data, dude. So if your cellular provider does not offer data, you will not be able to get mail from other services. In other words, if you cannot browse the web, it seems likely that the POP/IMAP mail accounts you might set up on the phone will fail to connect as well.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So use it without a data plan and just use the internet when connected to wifi.
    Go to settings/general/network and turn off cellular data. That will allow the phone to use data only when connected to wifi and not thru the carrier.
    Your carrier has nothing to do with retrieving emails or setting up any email accounts. Its all done on the phone and downloaded when connected online. You carrier doesnt even need to know about any of that.
    You will still be able to make phone calls and receive sms.