Question About Unlocked iPhone 4's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arcadia310, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

I'm thinking about purchasing an unlocked iPhone 4 off craigslist. The guy I'm talking to right now said AT&T unlocked the iPhone. I've heard that if you apply a software update the unlock will be removed. I'm on T-Mobile so I need the phone to be unlocked otherwise it's worthless. Is this true? What are the easiest ways to maintain an unlocked iPhone but have it running on the newest version of iOS?

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

3. bandofbrothers, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Updating the firmware on your iphone 4 will not reverse the unlocking actioned via the network.

It will however reverse jailbreaking.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    The seller lied to you.
    Maybe it's jb and unlocked using ultrasnow or a gevey sim.
    Either way I would avoid that particular person selling it cause he's full of bs.

5. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Your best hope is buying a used iphone that has been unlocked from the beginning by Apple, but from what I can tell, these are fairly rare in US?

6. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. If it was updated using those methods, will the unlock be erased when I update the software?

7. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

He may not be lying to you, he just may not be very knowledgeable actually, he may think it is a "AT&T unlocked iPhone" when it isn't in the sense AT&T didn't provide him with the unlock, but gevey, or ultra snow or something. Either way, be careful. I don't own a AT&T iPhone but I understand iOS 5 takes away the gevey option, thus, leaving no unlocking option unless it is factory unlocked.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    You'd be stuck with an iPhone that can only use AT&T sims.

9. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Meet up with him and test a T-Mobile SIM in it before paying.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Tell him to update to the latest firmware. Test it with you T-Mobile sim. Then you will know. :)