Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
If I buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple will I be able to use the phone on either CDMA carriers like Verizon and GSM carriers (e.g., T-mobile) and switch between the two, or will I have to choose which type of network I will use the phone on?

I tend to use prepaid third party carriers that piggyback on the major networks in the US and want to make sure that I can switch from one to another without a problem.

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I would recommend buying the Verizon model from Apple or waiting for the sim free model.

While theoretically all the models sold by Apple should be unlocked and able to be used on any carrier:
- Several people have reported the AT&T model sold full price by Apple is in fact locked.
- Sometimes it takes awhile for Verizon to whitelist all the IMEIs for other models. This means you would need an already active sim to use the phone on Verizon, and some features like wifi calling may not work.

Edit: sorry I assumed you were talking about the XR specifically for some reason. The sim free XS/XS Max is already available.

Reactions: jazzer15

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I would recommend buying the Verizon model from Apple or waiting for the sim free model.

While theoretically all the models sold by Apple should be unlocked and able to be used on any carrier:
- Several people have reported the AT&T model sold full price by Apple is in fact locked.
- Sometimes it takes awhile for Verizon to whitelist all the IMEIs for other models. This means you would need an already active sim to use the phone on Verizon, and some features like wifi calling may not work.

Edit: sorry I assumed you were talking about the XR specifically for some reason. The sim free XS/XS Max is already available.

Thanks for the information. I haven't decided on the model yet, but I very well may get an XR, so that is helpful to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.