Question about Unlocking 3GS (currently legit on ATT) on 4.1 using PwnageTool?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vader1990, Dec 19, 2010.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have an iPhone 3GS currently on ATT. I'm going to go use my upgrade today to get the iPhone 4. However, I'm going to give my 3GS to my little brother once I get my iPhone 4. He is also on ATT (we're all on the same family plan).

He is planning to go abroad this coming month, and was wondering if he would be able to purchase a SIM card from there and put it in the iPhone, but when he comes back continue to use that same iPhone on ATT (with the sim he has now; basically he will take his ATT sim out when he leaves and put it back into the 3GS when he returns).

I told him, I would jailbreak/unlock it for him. I'm planning to follow this guide I found on iClarified:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12349&laid=

HOWEVER, if you look at "Step Six", it says: "NOTE*: Deselect Activate if you have an iPhone legitimately activated on an official carrier."

Technically it is legitimately activated on ATT, but I need it to work with a different SIM card when he goes abroad, but when he's back I need it to work again on ATT.

What do you guys recommend? I was planning to follow the iClarified guide to jailbreak as stated (i.e. DESELECT activate and not unlock it), and then use the following ultrasn0w guide to unlock:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

Do you guys think this is the way to go? Any help will be much appreciated!

As always, you guys are a wonderful help!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

When are you're at the point, uncheck "activate". When you restore your iPhone with the custom ipsw, the iPhone will then go to the emergency screen when finished. Then put your AT&T sim in the iPhone to activate it.

But also read this: www.blog.iphone-dev.org

The baseband on 4.1 can't be unlocked, so you need to upgrade the baseband to 6.15.00 in order to do so. By doing this a few things come into play. You can't restore your iPhone unless you have a custom ipsw with the 6.15.00 baseband. You can't upgrade your iPhone through iTunes. It will void your warranty (forever) if the iPhone still has one, since you'll be upgrade to the iPad baseband.

Read all the information on the iPhone Dev Blog and make sure if you actually want to do this.

The best thing to do, would be to buy a cheap 2G (3.1.3) or 3G (4.0.2 or lower) off craig's list and unlock it.

3. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good, thanks a lot for your help!! One quick question:

So after restoring the iPhone using the custom IPSW, I put in my brother's SIM into the jailbroken 3GS, and it should automatically work right? Nothing more needs to be done with iTunes?

Thanks!

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

when the option for it comes you uncheck the "activate the phone" and just leave the AT&T SIM card inside throughout the whole procedure...

What's your current iOS version and Baseband? old bootrom or new? If he is going to the other country just this one time and for a short time it isn't worth it IMO to update to the 6.15.00 BB...

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep.