Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
a friend wants help unlocking a iphone 5 (i think he had someone buy it from US and sent it to India). so anyway, he's looking for a free way to unlock it. i remember telling him that once a jailbreak will be out there may be few ways to get it unlocked... was i right in saying this?

basically wanted to know if a jailbreak facilitates an unlocking process (or atleast makes it significantly easier to do)?

any opinions/advice would be appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
a friend wants help unlocking a iphone 5 (i think he had someone buy it from US and sent it to India). so anyway, he's looking for a free way to unlock it. i remember telling him that once a jailbreak will be out there may be few ways to get it unlocked... was i right in saying this?

basically wanted to know if a jailbreak facilitates an unlocking process (or atleast makes it significantly easier to do)?

You jailbreak to download ultrasn0w which unlocks your phone, but it only works on select basebands. His best bet is to pay someone $10 on eBay.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

You jailbreak to download ultrasn0w which unlocks your phone, but it only works on select basebands. His best bet is to pay someone $10 on eBay.

Ultrasn0w only works on 3GS and IP4 on certain BB, NOT on the IP5.

They need to buy an IMEI unlock online, try ebay.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE

oh ok. so i'll ask him to jailbreak and download ultrasn0w and have him chk his baseband compatibility.
i did mention the 10$ ebay option but he wasn't too keen/interested. probablly didn't trust it. dont know.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Are unlocks legal again

Hmm, yes. Your carrier can unlock your phone or you can buy an unlock from eBay.

oh ok. so i'll ask him to jailbreak and download ultrasn0w and have him chk his baseband compatibility.
i did mention the 10$ ebay option but he wasn't too keen/interested. probablly didn't trust it. dont know.

TriJetHero answered your question better than I did, he just stated it doesn't work for iPhone 5. Tell your friend he needs to buy from eBay.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Ultrasn0w only works on 3GS and IP4 on certain BB, NOT on the IP5.

They need to buy an IMEI unlock online, try ebay.

Hmm, yes. Your carrier can unlock your phone or you can buy an unlock from eBay.

TriJetHero answered your question better than I did, he just stated it doesn't work for iPhone 5. Tell your friend he needs to buy from eBay.

thanks. will pass on the info.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2011

nope there is no way to unlock an iPhone 5 via jailbreak. the only way to get it unlocked is by using ebay or unlock_fusion's website.!

HKSSS

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012

That is why I don't post a 'solution' when I am clueless. It's better to keep quiet if you aren't sure cause you will give false hope and mislead people.

Are unlocks legal again

Are you from the States? There are other places other than USA. USA laws are not the same as many other countries. OP has already stated that his friend is in India (FYI India is another country).

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
That is why I don't post a 'solution' when I am clueless. It's better to keep quiet if you aren't sure cause you will give false hope and mislead people.

Are you from the States? There are other places other than USA. USA laws are not the same as many other countries.

Where did I mislead him?

It's legal to unlock your phone in the US..

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE

Are you from the States? There are other places other than USA. USA laws are not the same as many other countries. OP has already stated that his friend is in India (FYI India is another country).

Where did I mislead him?

It's legal to unlock your phone in the US..

hahaha... guys... its fine. its not even my phone i was asking help for! :D
i got the response i was looking for anyway... :eek:

HKSSS

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012

Enough said?

There's no need to check the BB on iP5 because not one single unlockable BB. That's giving false hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.