Question about unlocking a replacement phone over ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RealSkyDiver, Nov 20, 2014.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I'm getting a new iPhone6 today while at the same time bringing my old iPhone5 in to have it replaced because of a battery issue (part of a recall). After that if I wanna have the iPhone5 unlocked do I just call ATT and give them the serial number of the replaced phone since they might still have the old phone (the one with the battery issues) on record?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Personally I'd wait on swapping out the iphone5 until you've unlocked it. When it comes to not screwing up something I trust Apple more than I trust AT&T. :)

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you were to get your current phone unlocked when you take it in to get a warranty swap there system sees the unlock status and your replacement receives this status. So it makes not difference which way round you choose to do this.

But yes AT&T is who you call. The second your new phone is active on your line there system sees the imie for that phone.

4. RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh thanks, I actually had the iPhone5 unlocked right after I got it back then (although over ebay).

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They're able to unlock replacement phones just fine. In fact, you can sometimes get on-contract phones unlocked if it's a replacement, since the IMEI won't be associated with the contract

6. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

You can also request an AT&T unlock online and not deal with any phone calls...just a thought.

They'll send a response email with the approval and instructions on connecting the phone and restoring on iTunes to unlock.

7. Mulley2472 macrumors regular

I just did something similar. If you are a Twitter user go to attcares and tell them what you want to do and that will take care of it. I had issues with the online unlock website and also with customer care. I went to Twitter and they took care of it in about 20 minutes. They will call you to verify your the account owner then they unlock the phone and you can do a restore in iTunes and your phone will be unlocked. No waiting 24 hours like they tell you to with the online unlock portal. Go to Twitter and find your answers

8. RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

When went to the store to have it replaced they showed me that it was unlocked and so would the replacement be.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    When Apple replaces a phone the same properties carry over.
    The warranty replaced device will also be unlocked.
    You won't have to unlock it again or contact AT&T.