Question about unlocking iPhone 2g using quickpwn

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thermos, Apr 4, 2009.

1. thermos macrumors newbie

Hi,

I successfully jailbroke my 2G iPhone using quickpwn (mac) on firmware 2.2.1. My question is, is it now unlocked or is there a step I missed? There are no options to unlock using quickpwn, I thought maybe it does it automatically but wasn't sure.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It has been unlocked for months. You need to choose "I am not an AT&T customer." in the firmware process.

3. thermos thread starter macrumors newbie

This wasn't an option using quickpwn. Do I have to use pwnage tool, or is it automatically unlocked when using quickpwn?

4. thermos thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Kirjava444 macrumors member

QuickPwn automatically unlocked my iPhone. However, it for some reason did not unlock my mom's iPhone (and PwnageTool was not initially working for hers either). I ended up having to use QuickPwn on it, putting it in DFU mode, and restoring to custom firmware made from PwnageTool after it had already been QuickPwned.

6. thermos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks much. How can you tell if it's unlocked or not without popping in another sim?

7. nctalkinghead macrumors member

The small lock icon on the lower left corner of the screen will be in the "unlocked" position. Ooops...April 1 was last week :D

8. Kirjava444 macrumors member

As far as I know, you can't. I'd suggest asking a friend if you could check your phone using his/her sim.

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

My experience was that QuickPwn would only unlock a phone if it was currently unactivated. I had to restore mine via DFU mode then run QuickPwn without activating the phone first.

It's only a guess, but QuickPwn did not seem able to over-write existing activation records belonging to the legit carrier.