Question about unlocking phone and the process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MK25toLife, Dec 3, 2014.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

Hello, I have an iPhone 6 on AT&T and on Nov. 21 used the site att-iphone-unlock.com to do it for me. I chose them after quite a bit of research

They said it takes 1-10 business days. I am leaving the country next Wed. so am getting real anxious about they'll actually be able to come through.

Does anyone have any experience with them or other services? I am hearing that there are issues with unlocking AT&T phones? Why does it take so long and what is the actual behind the scenes process of unlocking the phone?

2. NukeIT macrumors regular

I have always recieved my unlock return email within a day or two and it instructs you to wait another day (most likely so the unlock order can propagate thru the system) prior to restoring.

3. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

To follow up, I just received bad news about my unlock. I definitely provided the right IMEI, do you all have any tips as to what I can do?

Dear Customer,
    Sorry, your IMEI is Not Found

The most common reasons for IMEI "NOT FOUND" results are:

Unsuccessful unlocking request was previously made for associated IMEI (in this case AT&T will reject future requests for device unlock)
    iPhone is replaced or refurbished
    IMEI number has been blacklisted, barred, reported stolen or blocked by AT&T / Apple
    You have purchased wrong iPhone unlocking service which means your device is locked to other network than you choose (AT&T)

4. 617aircav Suspended

How did you buy the phone, are you an Att customer?

5. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it with an AT&T plan, I am an AT&T customer

EDIT: They responded back to me and said the email was an error. I'm beginning to think this sight might be frauding me?

6. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

By "bought with an AT&T plan" do you mean you purchased at a discounted rate? i.e. upgrade pricing? $199, $299, $399?

If so, I believe that may be part of your issue. AT&T shut down most of the back channel means by which the unlocks took place a few years ago, and if you are under contract, then the site you used may be running into an issue.

I bought my AT&T phone on launch day, but I bought it full price. After 60 days, I requested an unlock directly through AT&T, and it went through just fine as my contract was up.

7. rigormortis, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the original poster was talking about another unlock site and not AT&T. i guess i quoted the wrong post

hopefully this post will show up in a future search and show to be relevant to someone else's issue then

this happens to me with go phones

if this happens to other people make sure you check the imei to make sure its an AT&T device but for the original poster, this does not apply

make sure you fully paid for the device and that you have had AT&T service for 60 days , those are the rules

you either have to be a customer for 60 days before you bought the phone or you need to be a customer for 60 days after you paid fulll price for the phone

if you are go phone then 6 months of service are needed to unlock it

knowing that, this is how you fix it

go to an AT&T retail store and not a partner store. bring your phone , sim card and a copy of your bill and your ID

ask them to look up your account and make sure your IMEI number has been associated to your account

AT&T is known to stop associating IMEI numbers to your account once the sim card has been activated

listen to them con you into saying that is not necessary.

tell them your full of it

make them associate the imei

once the imei has been officially entered into your account

resubmit your unlock request and it will go through...

this happens because AT&T only cares about your sim card, they don't really care what you serial number is.. except maybe to check to see if its not blacklisted, once the sim is activated they don't care at all

another reason why this might of happened is you are a cricket customer.
    only new GSM customers of cricket ( which is now owned by AT&T is eligible for an unlock )
    older cricket customers who bought a CDMA device before AT&T took over get no unlock .

classic cricket may be locked out when the CDMA network is shut down in 2015.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've found that the best solution is to buy a phone that isn't locked in the first place.