Question about unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jye0325, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jye0325 macrumors newbie

If I buy and unlock an iPhone 4 AT&T Model. And then use my own AT&T mirco-sim card into it, is it possible to use the iPhone as a a phone without data or no?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I believe AT&T requires a data plan and when they see you're on an iPhone they will add it. Also if you're planning on using it on AT&T there is no reason to unlock it.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

make sure you know if your baseband can even be unlocked before you buy.. to many folks going out and spend the money then find out there baseband and firmware isn't supported.

4. jye0325 thread starter macrumors newbie

well I am trying to use my iPhone somehow on At&t without a data plan implemented. currently my sister has placed a data opt out plan on all accounts but I don't think that will stop At&t from adding a dataplan when I use my iPhone. and the baseband iPhone I got is downgradable - a hassle yes but well worth the price

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

the best way to go is with a gophone sim cut. still a chance but your odds are much much better.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Except 3G with boot loader 05.08, iPhones's baseband can't be downgraded. So, you might want to make sure you know what you are getting into first.

7. jye0325 thread starter macrumors newbie

the one that is coming is 4.11.08 and theres a tutorial on downgrading online. dunno if that works. but my friend was telling me that her mom got an iphone on at&t without data plan for a month or two already - dunno if thats true or not but i want to try it.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

No software or hardware unlock for 04.11 baseband. However, I believe that you can use it with an AT&T gophone plan. There is a thread in here talking about it.

If you want to use this phone with other GSM networks, then the answer will be "No", it is impossible.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot have an iphone 3G, 3GS, iphone 4 or 4S on AT&T postpaid accounts without the mandatory iphone data plan.
    No unlocking or jailbreaking will go around it.
    Their system will eventually catch on and send you a text that the appropriate iphone data plan has been added to your account.
    Only way around it is to use an AT&T prepaid gophone sim.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Which I don't think requires an unlock to use if it's an AT&T phone.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.