Question about upcoming Mac Pro (for audio recording)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Crydevil, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. Crydevil macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I find myself in a bit of a hassle with this new Mac Pro that I want to purchase.

    You see, I am currently working on a recording studio, and I have made plans for how I want the signal flow of the studio to be.
    I already have an analog mixing desk, converters and some outboard. And at some point the signal will be flowing into a Mac Pro.
    It'll probably be a Quad-Core processor one. That should be enough.

    All of this doesn't have anything to do with the question, but I wanted to make sure you get the context ^^.

    Now, I plan on buying this Mac Pro as soon as possible, because I'm in a big hurry to get the studio running, to start recording certain projects.
    But now I read on MacRumors and other websites, that Mac Pro's with new processors will be released around November.

    So I figure that, if I buy, let's say a Quad-core now, I'll be paying more for the same quality, than the Quad-Core's after the upgrade (since I presume they will lower the price of those).

    Doesn't Apple have some kind of policy that you can get some money back if you buy within a certain amount of time before an upgrade?
    Any advice would be much appreciated! ^^

    Thank you guys,
    Cheers!
     
  2. blunti macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #2
    I think it's 30 days! So basically if a new MP comes out within 30 days then you can get it exchanged.
     
  3. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #3
    You can only exchange. They won't give you money back.
     
  4. Crydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #4
    Thanks for the reply guys.

    I see. Well, that's a bummer. I can't wait another month :(.

    Guess I'll just buy one and upgrade it when I see fit. I don't plan on using lots of plugins, so a few cores more or less don't matter that much to me anyway ^^.

    Thanks again guys :).
     
  5. blunti macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #5
    Not really trying to talk you into something else, but have you considered a hackintosh in the meantime? Can build a pretty solid top of the line i7 for about $900.

    This way you could have a rig that's perfect until the new MP comes out. There will be some significant changes in the new platform that might be worth the wait. Hell, SATA III itself is worth the wait...
     
  6. Crydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #6
    Thank you for the reply :).

    Well yeah that could be a good idea, but the only downside is that I'd lose money twice :(, and I kinda calculated everything into my budget.

    But thanks for the suggestion though, I'll give it some thought :).
     
  7. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #7
    Honestly, while I've seen reports that the new Mac Pros are going to be faster, I don't think for your needs that it would be huge difference. If you need one now, buy now. They're very nice machines. It's not like once the new ones come out it will catch fire and explode. :)
     
  8. blunti macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
  9. jsolares macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2011
    Location:
    Land of eternal Spring
    #9
    Have you consider a Mini in the mean time? unless you also need a pci-e slot for something i'd rather get a mini and sell that when the new pros come out
     
  10. Tanax macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2011
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #10
    From what I've read, the processing speed of the new Sandy Bridge-E compared to Westmere won't be THAT big of a difference, especially not in your case since you don't need the top-end, so in that regards I'd say go ahead and buy now if you need it.

    However. They won't just upgrade the processor, they'll probably include support for 1600MHz memories aswell as quad-channel memory-lanes, where westmere only supported tri-channel. Again, this might not give an incredible speed-increase but still.

    More importantly, they'll most likely add thunderbolt I/O(s) so if you want that functionality then you'd have to wait.

    ----------

    This!
    If you need a Mac for the studio, get the Mini if you're unsure if the new Mac Pro will be good for your needs.

    If worst comes to worst and you'll wait for the new Mac Pro and notice that you'll be just fine with the old Mac Pro, then at least it'll have gone down in price so you'll be saving some dollars there.
     
  11. toxic macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    #11
    the OP is working for a studio. presumably, this computer will be used to make money. building a hackintosh is not a wise decision – if the computer goes down because of some unforeseen incompatibility (btwn off-the-shelf parts and OSX), that's lost money, and it's a bigger problem if the studio doesn't have its own IT support. with an Apple product, if something goes bad, all the OP/studio has to do is call Apple and make it their problem.
     
  12. reebzor macrumors 6502a

    reebzor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #12
    I agree with this. I feel like Mac Mini's retain the highest relative resale value of any macs out there, so it might not be a terrible idea. However, if you NEED a Mac Pro now, there is no other option than just buying a Mac Pro now.
     
  13. Escher2112 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #13
    I was in the same boat - New AV system for our Church - 24 channel Yamaha pro audio analog board(IM8-24), and we want to do streaming, both video and audio...

    I ended up purchasing two mac mini servers. One for audio production / slideshow control and one for video production / duplication / overflow. The quad core screams. The only downside is the video card - but since we aren't doing any 3d work, its not an issue.

    I would recommend the same for you - a MP is WAY overkill. Unless you NEED the PCI slots or more than 4 cores, there is no reason.

    At home, for my recording studio, I use a Macbook Pro (2011 17" quad i7), with a very similar cpu speed to the mini server - and its also more than adequate for the job..

    Get the mini - and then get a good thunderbolt external drive and the new cinema display and you will come out way ahead of the game... Thunderbolt changed the game - it offers all the expandability you could ever need (includeing external PCI enclosures).
     
  14. Crydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #14
    Thank you for the reply.

    You are probably right :). It would make me very sad if they would catch fire and explode, but at the same time I would laugh my ass off xD!

    Thanks! :)

    ----------

    Thank you for replying :).

    Yeah, I figured as much :D.

    The Mac Mini could also be a good idea, indeed. But the problem is that I absolutely need the PCI-X slot for my internal audio card :(.
    Unless there is some external module solution of some kind in which I can put the PCI card, and then connect it via cable, but I don't think it exists tbh.

    Thanks !!
     
  15. Escher2112 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #15
    Which audio card are you using? You can get a firewire 800 rack mount card (presonus firestudio with 8 XLR in's, etc) for about $600.00....

    I guess what I'm saying is - don't tie yourself down to a $2500 entry level MP if you don't absolutely have to...

    I know how it is though - if you really want the mac pro, its going to be hard NOT to get it.

    For me - If I wasn't in to gaming and graphics - I'd sell my MBP and get a mini server and upgrade my guitar and or fx processing...
     
  16. Crydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #16
    Thanks for replying :)

    Well, if there is indeed an external PCI enclosure that uses thunderbolt, it would indeed change alot :D.
    I do need 2 PCI-X slots though, because a single unit of the audio card I'm gonna buy can only flow 16 channels of I/O (via AES/EBU).

    And I'm gonna have to (besides the PCI-X enclosures) connect 2 monitors simultaneously. Is this all possible through one Thunderbolt port?

    Thanks!!

    ----------

    Thanks for replying! :)

    The card I'm gonna use is an RME HDSPE AES-32. I'm gonna start with one, then add it up when I have some money again, as one card can carry only 16 channels, and my desk has 32.

    You are very right indeed ^^, but I don't think I have a choice, unless maybe Thunderbolt gives me some options in terms of connecting 2 monitors and 2 PCI-X enclosures to one TB connector, but it seems unlikely to me ^^.

    Thanks!!
     
  17. Escher2112 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #17
    Wow thats a SERIOUS card.... I assume you are in need of extremely low latency and your doing midi, etc...

    Honestly - a lot of the features on that card are way out of my league... ;) The most complex I had gotten is using midi in for drum samplling / triggering in Superior 2.0....

    The external enclosure looks like it has two issues - 1 - folks are saying it will be very expensive, and 2 its not PCIX, only PCI-E... so that would kill it for you...
     
  18. Crydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #18
    Thanks for replying ;).

    Yeah, the goal is crystal clear recordings (which is dependant on soooo many factors, but still... :D), and low latency, indeed. I'm not much of a MIDI user, although my desk has some MIDI functions that I'm interested in using, so that might come in handy :D.

    And the enclosures create some problems, you're right. Ah well, guess it's gonna be an MP for me in the end, even though it's a bit overkill, indeed...

    I'll look at it this way: I won't have to upgrade the hardware in... maybe ever, because if it works now, it'll work later on :D

    Thanks!!
     
  19. snberk103 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location:
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    #19
    Also, look at the refurbished store. If you need a MP, and you need it now, at least try to get some discount now by buying a refurbished unit from the online Apple store. Apple sells these systems "as good as new" complete with a full year warranty, and eligible for Apple Care.

    Also, keep in mind that nobody here actually knows when the new MPs are coming, and what features they will have. There may be informed speculation (very informed!) - but - it's still just speculation.

    Thunderbolt changes a lot of assumptions about how a computer can work with peripherals. Apple may decide to make evolutionary changes to incorporate TB into the MP, or they may decide to introduce some revolutionary changes. Or they may decide a beefed up Mini with TB should replace the MP. Nobody but Apple knows.

    What I'm saying is.... if you need a MP, go ahead and buy it now. Even if you decide you need a new MP in a year, your old MP will still be worth at least 50% of what you paid for it, if you take care of it.

    Good Luck.
     
  20. Crydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #20
    Thanks for the reply!

    Wow, I hadn't thought of that refurbished store yet! Thanks!
    I hope they have it in Belgium too, that's were I live. Because if I order a refurbished MP in the US I'll have to pay alot of import taxes I presume :(.

    And yeah, you're probably right. I can try to sell it later on if I reaaaaally need/want to, if the technological leap forward is sooo huge :D.

    Thanks!!
     
  21. snberk103 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location:
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    #21
    I didn't see a refurbished section on the Belgium store, but there is one on the UK store. Perhaps the French or German store has refurbished units (closer than the UK). I don't know how the online stores work within the EU, so I don't know if this is a viable option.
     
  22. jsolares macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2011
    Location:
    Land of eternal Spring
    #22
    Be sure to get the PCI Express version of the card, the current or new Mac Pros don't have PCI-X at all, and the upcoming enclosures for TB are also PCI Express
     
  23. Crydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #23
    Cool, thanks I'll look into it! :)

    Thanks!!

    ----------

    Yeah, thanks for reminding me ^^, I always get the abbreviations of those two mixed up, while there is a HUGE difference :D.

    Thanks!!
     

Share This Page