Question about upgrade program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolio93, Dec 1, 2016.

1. coolio93 macrumors 6502

So now that many people have exercised their upgrade on the upgrade program and traded in their 6S's, I was wondering if we get a hard credit inquiry every year? Or is the hard credit inquiry only for first time enrollment to the upgrade program and then a soft inquiry every upgrade thereafter?

Thank you!

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

3. coolio93 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's absolutely ridiculous. I have perfect credit and although this shouldn't affect my credit score too much, it still is a bummer and a dumb decision. Why not just do a soft check -_-

Thanks for the reply though! I appreciate it!

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not true. Myself and plenty others here on the forum did not have a hard inquiry this year. We don't know how or why Citizen One does a hard inquiry for someone but not the next person on the following year. It could be score related but we do not know.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...program-users-hp-or-sp.1992597/#post-23689611

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Huh. That's odd. I can't explain that either.

They really ought to think about solidifying their policy, because I'm sure this has turned people away from IUP. They obviously don't need to do it.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I haven't heard of someone being turned away on renewal.. You have?

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I haven't heard of Citizens turning people away. What I meant was that people might be dissuaded from buying under the IUP if they think that Citizens is going to constantly leave marks all over their credit reports.

8. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If Citizens turns someone down they must be bad. Not a lot of risk for them with direct access to your bank account. They just check how long you account has been active and likely their ability to get their money. Citizens is not going to have a positive effect on your credit report in the long run.

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have a hard inquiry from Citizens on my credit report from last year, but no such inquiry this year (so I assume it was a soft pull). I check my credit regularly, so it would have shown by now (upgraded to the 7 in October).

11. toph2toast macrumors 6502

Has anyone heard of American Express cards no longer being used for the for the iPhone Upgrade program. When I tried to pickup my iPhone 7 plus, myself and another customer were both having issues with Amex cards when doing the check. That's the only card I carry, so I had to come back the next day with my wife's MasterCard. The weird part was when I had used an Amex when I signed up for the iPhone Upgrade Program when I got my 6s Plus. Just was wondering if others had the same thing, or maybe things were messed up that day in the store.

12. coolio93 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just used my Amex last week without any issues

13. toph2toast macrumors 6502

Hmm... weird... thanks for letting me know.

Just glad the Apple store held my phone until I made it back, would have sucked if I had to wait for another JB 7 plus to pop up in that store.

14. Europa13 macrumors 6502

I used my AmEx card last week to sign up for Apple's Upgrade program and it worked fine. Might have been your store or something they did wrong. Next wouldn't work for me in the Apple Store even though AT&T said it would.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Citizens is actually very conservative when it comes to giving out credit.
    Even for iphone purchase credit as low as $700-1200.

16. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Maybe those people shouldn't update every year.

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

"Those people"? I'm pretty sure unnecessary hard inquiries aren't good for anyone's credit. All you need are two or three within a 12 month period to negatively impact your score.

But, it seems like an non-issue. Based on what people have posted here, it doesn't seem to be Citizens policy to do this.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yep. Had three drop off last week, credit score went up 20 points. I lost 20 points for 2 solid years.