Question about "upgrade swap"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crotalus_Joe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

I searched around but didnt find an answer for the exact situation that i am in.

Now that Apple will be enabling Bluetooth voice dialing i am going to upgrade to the 3G S once 3.1 is released. My upgrade elegibility is not up until November, BUT we have been discussing adding a 4th line for my 11 yo son, we have an old, basic, non-camera phone for him to use already.

Can an upgrade swap be done on a new line on a family plan? Could i add his line and get the 3G S, then swap it to my line, cancel the data plan on the 4th line and give him the basic phone to use?

I will probably give him the 3G to use as an iPod touch with no sim or sell it on ebay

Thanks for any help.

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Short answer is Yes.

This is a faiirly standard version of the Upgrade Swap but using a new "handset" eligiblity instead of a line that is "Upgrade Eligible".

Just to be clear, you want to get the iPhone 3GS when you get the line and activate it on the new add-a-line. Then just swap the SIMs and call Customer Care and have the iPhone data plan dropped from your son's line. The rep will ask for the IMEI of the phone that is replacing the iPhone 3GS on his line.

If you choose to do this at Apple instead of AT&T, you could just order an individual line of servce from Apple.com or in-store and then call Customer Care and merge this new line into your FamilyTalk rate plan as an add-a-line.

Again, make sure that your line remains as the "Primary" line to keep the MRC as high as possible, this increases your chances of getting a better "Upgrade Eligible" date next year.

Dave

3. Crotalus_Joe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Yeah that is why i am eligible in November (got my 3G last Nov.)