Question about upgrading an iPhone mid-cycle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rapicell, Aug 12, 2014.

1. rapicell macrumors regular

I'm having trouble finding answers that suit my question, so I figured I'd ask here. My mom's iPhone (4s) is out of warranty and the power button now gets stuck. While I don't see it as a problem to just leave it on, she does. While my mom could just wait a week and upgrade when the cycle restarts, I was just curious if anyone knows about verizon and how they handle upgrades during a cycle?

Currently she's grandfathered on unlimited, so she'd have to switch to a tiered data plan should she take the contract price. How does the data charges work in this case since the phone's plan will be changed?

I know this isn't a verizon forum, but I thought maybe some members might have experience with this situation.

2. kaielement macrumors 65816

Don't know what you mean by cycle. But if she can wait until September Apple is going to announce new phones. That being said i would also not sign a 2 year agreement. I would do Verizon's Edge program. Any questions about how that would work and all the details I would suggest talking to a Verizon rep to go through all your options.

As to the data you will be charged based on how much data you pick for the plan I think right now Verizon has a $65 plan that includes 1gb and unlimited talk and text.

3. rapicell thread starter macrumors regular

Uhh, you post doesn't help at all. But thanks anyways.

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Deleted - I dont think my answer was what you were looking for either.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you are changing plans they can usually get them backdated to the beginning of the cycle that you are in so that there wouldn't be some sort of weird prorated charges for something. Or they can just do it from that moment and figure out prorated charges if needed. If you can wait til the end of the cycle it might be simpler to just do it then, otherwise backdating would probably be the simpler option if doing it in the middle of a cycle.

As for a stuck power button, AssistiveTouch can be used to turn the screen off if needed: http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/02/how-to-power-off-or-lock-the-screen-of-an-iphone-with-a-broken-p/