Question about upgrading from 4 to 4S.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Oct 15, 2011.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Okay, I contacted At&t by phone and asked them if I was eligible for an upgrade. I've only had my iPhone 4 since last June. They said I could upgrade early to the 4S since I have an iPhone already. Is this right? I have a feeling the person was confused. Can I upgrade early before my 2 years is up? I'm on a family plan, if that matters.

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

You generally are eligible for an upgrade about 18 months into your contract. If you upgrade before you are officially eligible, you can do so, but will pay the price of the phone + $250 for the 'early upgrade fee.'

If your contract started in June, I would expect your no-fee upgrade to come around sometime in January or February. My contract was from April, and I became eligible in mid-September (though my wife's contract is not eligible until December and we signed ours the same day...presumably because she has the 200MB data plan and I have Unlimited.)

If you log into your account on AT&T Wireless online, and check upgrade eligibility, it will give you your exact eligibility date if you aren't eligible now (and if you are, it will say you can upgrade for $18, which is the activation fee for the new phone).

3. torid110 macrumors regular

It is possible. I bought a 2 iPhone 4s during launch last year, one for each line on my family plan. During the 4S preorder, my primary line was eligible for upgrade at the in-contract price but the second line shows it eligible on 02/2012.

YMMV though, because a friend of mine did the same thing, but he's showing eligibility on 11/2011.