Question about upgrading iLife

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nomadski, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Nomadski macrumors regular

Have iLife 09 on my macbook pro currently, have just purchased iLife 11. Presuming the install will wipe my existing photos so what do I have to back up prior to install, ie where is my photo library I need to back up, and do I just drag it back once install is complete?

First time iLife upgrade so want to make sure I do it right.

2. celticpride678

Your photos shouldn't be deleted. The pictures are located in: Users/YOURUSERNAME/Pictures/iPhoto Library if you'd like to back it up.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, it's always wise to back up, but a software upgrade should never delete anything except the old version of the software. That goes for any application on the Mac (should be true on the PC as well, but I can only assume it's not because of all the threads like this). All your personal data, like photos, is stored in your User folder, never in the application bundle itself.

jW

4. Nomadski thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Am a bit of a paranoid freak when it comes to computers, so I always back up. Thanks for the info. :)

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Very wise :eek:

There is I believe a bug with iPhoto whereby some people have their libraries corrupted when it does the library conversion the first time it runs, so I advise doing the install and then doing a check for updates to get the patch for iPhoto that is meant to fix that. Then do the upgrade.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

FWIW, I hate iPhoto 11'

Short of full screen, I think it sucks. Came on my new MBA, and I am looking to downgrade.

Oh, and on iPhoto 11' when you email, or send gallery links out (when it even works) it generally hits others spam folder- FYI, that took me 2 days to figure out why my employee was not getting photos I needed printing.

A huge step backwards, IMO

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Can you give more details? I'm on 09 so considering upgrading at some point.

8. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Sure,

The layout is similar on the left panel, however now- when you right click a photo there are far less options available. I remember if you had duplicates for instance, you could right click any photo in the library and find the original in finder- that option is gone.

Faces works better- I will give them that.
    Places, improved looks but nothing more.
    The layout in the Photos window has changed to a grouping of sorts, yet they are labeled like the old folders used. Problem is, i can't find for the life of me how to change any labeled untitled event.

Really, to be honest, some may like it better for Full Screen mode; however I don't really care for it, nor use it at all. I really find iPhoto used for a library of sorts like iTunes. I think the new version has taken away many tweaks or options that 09' had, But- if it has not lost old tweaks etc, I certainly am having a hell of a time finding them.

I have actually been using it for about 3 weeks on and off, and I am going to go back.

Only thing I like better is you can Upload, email, etc to different media outlets like Flicker/facebook, etc. However like I mentioned above I have had zero success sending a MM gallery to anyone including myself without it arriving in a spam box for some reason- and using my MM address.

Bottom Line, I dislike it. But, YMMV

9. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Honestly,

Go play with it for 10 minutes in a store, and see what you think.:cool:

11. Nomadski thread starter macrumors regular

Well updated successfully with no loss of photos once the library was rebuilt.

I had read that so made sure I did an update before launching it, but thanks for mentioning it.

I LOVE the full screen mode, also the bar at the bottom for flowing thru the rest of the pictures quickly without exiting full screen mode.

It does have that "its new and different" thing going on, in that im struggling to find where things are, but im sure once I play with it, it will be cool.

One thing I am really struggling with is places - I cant seem to find where I can just type an address in, whatever I click on takes me straight to a pin which I cant seem to move even by clicking and dragging. I would like to just highlight a bunch of photos and select "Old Deer Park" in London, but it just plants the pin in central London.

Also not sure how I mass accept / decline Faces suggestions, having to click on each photo independantly. 93 out of 96 photos correct, thats a lot of clicking...

Havent tried uploading yet to MM, will see if I hit the same spam issue as Tigres.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Have you never read a thread about an iPhoto update? iPhoto deletes photos in updates all the time.

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, it had one version that had a rare bug that resulted in photos being lost. One. Not "all the time." Keep your fear-mongering to yourself.

jW

14. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

i would like to find a version of ilife that will work on my g4 first gen tibook running 10.4.11 also would be nice to find one that will work on my g3 ibook running 10.4.11 as well :apple:

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's not fear mongering. I've never had that problem with either iPhoto or Aperture, but in just about every update thread someone lost some photos. I don't fear that situation because I back up everything.