Question about upgrading my 27 inch iMac with SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Burglad, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Burglad macrumors member

Burglad

I have a question (might be a stupid question but i couldn't find any clear answers online) about running mountain lion OS on an external ssd drive (128gig adata ssd in a 3.0usb 2.5mm enclosure). Im wondering if it will run at full potential/speed of the ssd or only to what the usb port can handle? The only reason i would like to go this route is because i dont want to take the imac apart and install the ssd internally.
    any input is welcome
    thank you
    Christian

imac 27" 3.06 intel core 2 duo/gig ram/1tb hdd

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The SSD will be slowed down by the USB 2 bus on your computer, so it won't be realizing it's full potential.

installing it internally is your best bet and it's not that difficult. I just did it to my iMac 2 weeks ago. iFixit.com has great tutorials for specific makes of iMac's with step-by-step instructions with clear, color pictures. They also sell toolkits with just the right tools needed to do the work.

Additionally, if you were to run the SSD externally, you'll have a hard time updating the firmware on it if you needed to.

3. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

You're kneecapping the SSD pretty heavily by running it externally, especially if that's where the OS and apps will reside.

If you're that worried about taking it apart, find an authorized Mac shop to do it for you. But it's not that bad, just take your time and be careful.

4. Burglad thread starter macrumors member

Burglad

thank you guys i appreciate the advice.. i have taken apart macbooks and other computers before but this seems a bit out of my comfort zone
    i will call some apple authorized shops around try and get a decent price on the upgrade
    thanks once again

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Before you pay someone else to do it, at least review the iFixit guide for your specific model. It's really quite simple; about 8 screws, a few cable disconnects and the display comes right out revealing the HDD and everything else.

From this link you just figure out what the EMC number is, located on the bottom of the foot stand. Then choose the 'Hard Drive Replacement' link to see the step-by-step process.