Question about Upgrading my line via another line.... o.O

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stangs55, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I used my wife's upgrade eligability to upgrade my main line as she is the $9.99 add-a-line off of my plan.

So when the 3GS arrives tomorrow...do I need to do anything special to activate it? ie: pop out my 3G sim card and put it into the new 3GS? Or can I just plug it in and activate it to my line somehow...itunes give me the option?

Thanks in advance

2. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

So many threads answering this question but ill do you the favor.

Activate the new phone with the sim it comes with.

After its activated swap YOUR sim with the sim in the 3G S

Call ATT and tell them you performed an upgrade swap and have them take the iphone plan OFF of the line you upgraded to the 3G S with (if they are not going to be using an iphone at all).

Your done.

3. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Thanks for the reply in spite of the other threads (as opposed to the sarcastic response I had anticiapted). I assumed there are alot of threads on this topic, but I realized that with over 2800 people currently viewing this topic...it would be hard to find. Again, thanks.

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

No problem at all.

5. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I have a question,

Do you still have to call ATT if you are doing a line swap involving two lines that already have iPhone 3Gs?

6. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Not understanding your question. How can you have a line that already has a 3G S on it?

edit: Now that I read that again I think I know what you meant. You would still call ATT to keep your warranty information in order. Even though the phones will work as normal once you apply the proper sim cards; according to AT&T records the IMEI's will still be mismatched.

*this is my interpretation from talking to several AT&T reps including walking into the store a few hours ago with this same question.