Question about upgrading to iPhone 4S & giving wife my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mazda 3s, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Here are our eligibility details:

-- I can upgrade to a new phone at the discounted rate on November 25
    -- My wife can upgrade to a new phone at the discounted rate in February 2012

I have an iPhone 4, she has an iPhone 3GS; both with unlimited data on AT&T

Question, when November 25 comes around, can I buy the iPhone 4S and give her my iPhone 4 to use without paying an activation fee for her? Meaning, can I just take out her SIM from the 3GS and put it in my iPhone 4 and be on our merry way?

Or will I have to pay an activation fee?

Now on to a slightly more complicated question. Since she's not up for an upgrade until February, would it be possible let's say when the iPhone 5 comes out next year (I likely won't be eligible on day one if I get the iPhone 4S in November) to use her upgrade eligibility to get the iPhone 5 and then swap my iPhone 4S SIM into the new phone and let her keep the iPhone 4S?

2. danielxute macrumors member

Just change the sim cards and you're good to go.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You can swap phones at any time between family plan lines. However, going between the 3gs and 4/4s will require talking to AT&T first because the 3gs uses a traditional SIM card while the 4 and 4s use microsim. AT&T might try to charge you for a new SIM, but I've never had to pay for it if I reminded them that I'm not really doing anything but swapping phones I already bought.

4. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Yup that should work they will stil charged you for activation fee for the new iPhone tho and is funny how all are wife and gf get the older phone ha ha they are still happy with it :D

5. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I'm a gf and i have the new 4S, my bf still has the 4. In our house we get new tech together or i get it first :> i'm the techie-he can barely check his email (but somehow he knows how to get to *******, go figure... :p).

6. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Thanks guys!
    Yeah, my wife doesnt care about having an older phone. But I do like having the latest gadgets. As long as she can do FaceTime when I'm away on trips, she'll be happy :)