Question About Upgrading to iPhone 6 from iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmb0404, Sep 16, 2014.

1. pmb0404 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm not an annual upgrader, so I've got a few questions about upgrading from my current iPhone 4 (16 g; black) to my pre-ordered iPhone 6 (64 g; gold). I've been trying to go through my current phone to clean up contacts, notes, etc. I do regularly back it up to my Mac Mini.

Once the new phone arrives, (I ordered from AT&T) do I need to just hook it up to the computer and sync?

Also, I'll be trading in my current iPhone 4 through the AT&T program ($200!). I've read that I need to reset everything on the phone and take out the SIM card. Anything else I need to do to make sure my info doesn't get sent to AT&T when I send in the phone?

Thanks!

2. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Set your 4 to back up to iCloud. When you sign in to your iCloud account during the initial phone setup, your contacts and notepad notes will be there. I wouldn't restore from backup on a brand new phone just to avoid issues. All your stuff should still be there. For peace of mind, verify that your contacts are there on icloud.com before you wipe your 4.

An erase all content and settings and SIM removal should suffice before trade in.
    I don't remember if it asks to turn off Find my iPhone but that should happen also to allow the next person to use it.

3. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

What about photos from the old phone? Isn't restoring from a backup the only way to ensure they are transferred? Why does everyone think restoring from a backup is a bad thing? If it was, why would apple offer it as an option?

4. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

If you prefer you can save your photos to your computer, and then sync them back with itunes.

5. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Oops I forgot to mention the photos. (They're usually in iCloud photo stream or already backed up on the computer anyways) but good catch. Do what wlossw suggests. Back them up to the computer and resync it back with the phone.

There's a good chance everything will work fine with a restore but with my own experience, I've had strange issues where the battery would drain in less than half the time. You're jumping 5 generations in hardware too, why risk not having the optimal environment? I wouldn't want to bog down my brand new phone with thousands of old text messages that it has to index, random phone settings, and app data.