Question About Upgrading When Submitting an AppleCare+ Claim

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Handsome Bacon, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

During a film shoot a week or so ago I accidentally knocked my 32GB iPad off of my desk, caught it by the cover but it swung and hit the desk shattering a part of the screen.

Anyway, I have AC+ and was planning on taking it down to the nearest store (which is an hour away). Because of my work schedule I might not get down there for a few weeks...but it'll have been over a month since I purchased it by then. Does anyone think they would they let me pay them an extra $100 and give me a 64GB iPad during the exchange? No big deal but might as well if I can. I can't see how it makes any difference to them...or does it?

Anyone done this?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The policy is too swap out your broken iPad with the exact model. However, I've seen exceptions made. Just bring a few copies of your videos. ;)

3. Handsome Bacon thread starter macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Haha they'll probably get offended seeing those! Thanks for the info, though.

It's not a big deal but I will ask anyway. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't take more of my money LOL.

4. satchow macrumors 6502

I was able to pay extra for a matte screen when my MBP broke, I wouldn't doubt if you'd be able to upgrade your iPad.

5. Handsome Bacon thread starter macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Probably worth a try then.

I mean they're probably going to give me a new one (at least I'm guessing they are). Based on what I can tell, seems the 64GB model is the slowest seller. So who knows? I will report back but it's going to be at least another 9-10 days before I can get down there.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Chances are about .000000001% that will happen. If they allowed that there would be an awful lot of people who suddenly have broken Applecare+ devices and want to upgrade. They don't want to set a precedent.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You'd be surprised. When they replaced my iPad two, I couldn't even get a white version instead because everything has a unique model number and it all has to be entered into their system without any hitch. Sad, I know, but true.

Also, offended seeing your videos? Go on, tell us more...;)

8. Handsome Bacon thread starter macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

You might be correct. All I know is it's worth a try...not asking for free. I was really on the fence about a 32 vs 64. Not going to put a ton of movies on my 32 but a 64 I probably would. Won't be heartbroken if they say "no".

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

They'd love to take your money by selling you another iPad. Giving them a broken iPad plus offering to pay the difference in cash isn't really a great deal for Apple though, so it's not a "take more of my money" argument.

10. Handsome Bacon thread starter macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Well, they're getting $49 for the deductible + another $100 for the upgrade. Probably no incentive as you say. :)

Which leads me to another question - do I take my box and charger down there too? Or do they just swap it out for a naked iPad?

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

They were counting on the $100 gamble paying out in their favor, and they aren't off the hook at replacing your current iPad.

In any case, all they want is your iPad; charger, box, etc. is yours, which is why you'll likely get a "brown box" replacement (containing only an iPad).