Question about upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swigganicks, Jul 26, 2012.

1. swigganicks macrumors newbie

my family is switching from at&t to verizon and so I need to enter into a two year contract, I'd like to get the iphone 5 when it comes out this fall but if I enter into a contract now I won't be able to upgrade to a new phone without paying $500+, am I basically stuck with whatever phone I get now for two years?

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

Pretty much yeah. I mean you could pay an ETF and grab a new contract but that'll cost you more money. I'm not too familiar with Verizon but are you guys in a huge rush to upgrade now? The next iPhone will be out at the latest, in october.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Or you can do what I did, just buy a cheap used phone and use it for a couple months until the new iPhone comes out. I switched last year around this time to Verizon from Sprint. I bought a cheap Droid off craigslist to use until the 4S came out. Did the couple of months suck? Yeah. Was it worth waiting an extra couple of months to get the newest tech before locking in for two years? Yep. If you bring your own device you don't enter into a two year contract, your just month to month.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

What is the reason for you switching as well? Why don't you stick with AT&T? (I'm sorry if things work different in the USA, but over here (Europe) I have never really heard anyone saying "Yeah, I switched carriers because my family switched too.")

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

ATT has $10 phones with no contract. Or, just wait and switch.

Like others, why the big switch?

6. swigganicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm on the share everything plan and I don't know how to get just a sim card from verizon to put into an unlocked phone (assuming I buy an unlocked phone from craigslist) The reason for switching is that we have absolutely no reliable service at our house anymore for the past few weeks and at&t isn't doing anything about it. Also, the rest of my family could care less about getting an iPhone, they're content with low end android phones. Right now, my only option seems to be trading the iPhone 4S in for maybe $200 when the iPhone 5 comes out, still gonna cost me around $450 but I guess that's a little bit more manageable...