Question about Upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by berkleeboy210, Jun 19, 2008.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I sold my iPhone on June 6th. I have the SIM Card. I'm currently using a Go Phone with my old iPhone's SIM card until July 11th.

Will I be able to upgrade to the 3G no problem at all?

It still shows the iPhone Data plan on my account info when I go in and check the details on ATT's site.

2. angel1286 macrumors member

you should be fine...sounds like you fall into that current iphone owner bracket even though you sold yours.

3. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yea, that's what I'm hoping. I hope they don't say well show us the phone to prove you have one or something like that.

4. neogod macrumors newbie

buying a new phone.

They don't need to do that, the computers already show him as an iphone customer. What will happen though when you buy the new iPhone, is that AT&T deactivates your old sim and activates the one in your new phone. Of course you have to sign a new contract, and from what I am hearing, if you aren't in your upgrade window, you are going to have to pay full price for your new iPhone, so I hope you have $400-$500 handy for that.

5. angel1286 macrumors member

the upgrade window only applies to people who do not currently have an iphone. he sold his iphone but still has an iphone plan so att thinks he still has an iphone so he should be fine.

6. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I checked and it said I'm eligible for an upgrade until 7/25/2009 which falls in the 2 year window when I bought iPhone v1 last June.

I'm confused I thought I could just go in, and as long as I'm willing to extend a contract for 2 more years then I get the $199/$299 price??

ahh maybe the Samsung Instinct is looking better better if I have to dish out another $500 for the new iPhone.

7. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

So that would apply if I went in currently using a Blackberry Curve, with a Blackberry plan and wasn't eligible then I'd have to pay full price?

8. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I'm still confused as to when and where Apple and AT&T said that the $199 and $299 prices are the subsidized prices. People keep bringing up that those are the subsidized prices, but there is no proof of that.

I just hope I only need to go into the Apple Store or AT&T store with about $380 (iPhone 16GB + Case)

9. angel1286 macrumors member

since you are eligible for an upgrade then you could go in with whatever phone you want and be able to buy the iphone at the subsidized prices.

10. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

AT&T put out a press release explicitly stating that in order to achieve the 199/299 price points, the phone was subsidized.

Put simply... You are wrong. There is clear proof of that.