Question about upgrading...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NHDrumline17, Jun 18, 2009.

1. NHDrumline17 macrumors member

I was planning on upgrading my 1G iPod touch to 3.0, but I will be getting a 2G very soon because I'm doing the BTS promotion where you get a free ipod touch with a new mac. So I have some questions...

1. Do you think its worth it to upgrade the 1G? Even if I am getting a 2G soon?

2. If I obtain the firmware, in a questionable manner *cough*, would I have any problems upgrading to a future firmware?

Thanks a lot!

2. WLS macrumors 65816

1: It is worth upgrading if you are going to use it in the future. If you are getting a gen2 soon then no, save your money because you will most likely have to upgrade your gen2 as 3.0 probably won't be on a new ipod touch for a month or so.
    2: upgrading always overwrites the firmware so there should be no future upgrade problems .

3. NHDrumline17 thread starter macrumors member

so there would be no problem upgrading to a 3.0.1 (for example) if I just downloaded and restored 3.0 without actually buying it?

AKA, would apple be able to tell that I didn't buy 3.0?

4. WLS macrumors 65816

That is a different issue if you are trying to find out if you can get free incremental upgrades from a beta GM install. I would say no because yes Apple can check the version number to see if you are eligible for a free update. I don't think they care if you are doing an upgrade purchase as long as they get paid.
    If what you are asking is can you take the 3.0 install that someone else paid for and downloaded
    and install that on your touch, I don't know but you may but I suspect that Apple will not allow any free updates if the purchase is not registered with itunes.

That's all I know.