Question about USB 3.0 external drives & Bluetooth interference

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by alisalem, Apr 12, 2013.

1. alisalem macrumors member

Hi,

I'm planning to get the Mac Mini but will not use Wi-Fi, only bluetooth to connect to the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Magic Trackpad.

I kept reading a lot about interference issues, so I was wondering if anyone is using a USB 3.0 external drive with their minis and whether they are having issues with Bluetooth. Would you recommend a certain brand of external HDDs?

I've already ordered an SSD, so having a fast external drive is a must for storage. Not sure if FireWire 800 provides similar speeds. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Ali

2. elolaugesen macrumors regular

3. alisalem thread starter macrumors member

I heard about that shield but is it needed even if the trackpad and keyboard are only 2 feet away from the mini at the most?

I live in Dubai, UAE and ordering from OWC takes 2 weeks and will cost more than the shield itself.

4. elolaugesen macrumors regular

it appears only to cause problems when you run USB3 devices..?

I have not seen been told and I run USB2 on the same port without issues. I will wait for the fix myself when I get an USB3 disc.
    or find out what to use for the shield and do it using their video instructions. Any computer/electronics person should be able to provide the shield. look at the video.
    cheers elo

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I've not had any issues with bluetooth interference on my Apple Wireless Keyboard or Wireless Touch pad at a distance of a half meter between the Mini and my keyboard/touchpad. I am running multiple USB3.0 devices. I think the issue is more for those who want to use their Mini as an HTPC and so they sit considerably farther away.

6. alisalem thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Which brand of USB 3.0 drives are you running?

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'm actually using USB3.0 to eSATA adapters to control my eSATA multi-disk enclosures. They are just little "dongles" plugged right into the back of the Mini.

8. opinio macrumors 65816

I think your right. That is my problem. My magic mouse and apple BT keyboard are often 5-10ft away because I use a 50" Bravia. I am having some problems with that distance, but 2ft is ok. I am thinking of trying the shield but would prefer to get some more comments suggesting it has worked (which do not seem to be posted so the shield may be a dud?).

9. APlotdevice, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Distancing your USB 3.0 drive from the computer (as well as the line-of-sight) and using a well insulating cable can help reduce the interference.

10. alisalem thread starter macrumors member

I'll keep my fingers crossed and buy a Seagate USB 3.0 drive today with the mini. Cheers everyone!