Question about USB Ethernet adapter & external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by qubex, May 20, 2009.

1. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

Hello.

I haven't bought a MacBookAir (yet, cue neurotic nail-biting in the "desperate for Rev. C" thread).

But I have a question for those of you who have the 24" external monitor and the USB ethernet adapter.

If you plug the USB/Ethernet adapter into a USB port on the screen, can you connect to the network through the screen's connection? Or does the Ethernet adapter only work if it's plugged directly into the laptop?

I ask because I'm wondering if I can set up a "one plug one socket" kind of docking station, or if I need to arrange for multiple cables and so forth.

Thanks.

2. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

'Tis a very good question. I asked the same a couple of months again in my local AS as I was toying with the ACD.

I was told the answer was 'yes' - and whilst I can't confirm this right now (my rev.Bs are gone and I'm also chomping at the bit for a rev.C) it does make sense in a way, given the ACD was designed to be a 'dock' and the adaptor does not require the abnormally-high power supplied by the MBA's USB port (unlike the the Superdrive).

i.e. Network connection should therefore be fine re-routed like this.

I guess the fixed short cable on Superdrive was confirmation that this ACD-coupling would not work as a desktop dock solution.