Question about USB-rechargeable trackpads

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GanChan, Oct 26, 2015.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I need a rechargeable trackpad for my Mac Mini setup, and I'm considering something like the Logitech Trackpad. I've found some refurbished/used options in addition to buying new, and I was just wondering:

-Will a used trackpad have a shorter charge life than a new one?
    -If the unit loses its ability to hold a charge, can I still keep it powered merely by leaving it plugged into the USB connection?

I have no general issues with buying pre-owned stuff, but it never hurts to know these things in advance....

Thanks!

2. Florpy macrumors newbie

Florpy

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

All lithium batteries will slowly hold less charge as time goes on, even if you don't use it. So an older model might need to be charged every 2-3 weeks vs every 4 weeks, for example. A refurbished model should have a new battery (the Apple ones all do).

My Logitech MX Master mouse is rechargeable, but it still works when charging so I imagine any rechargeable device can be both charged and used (except the Magic Mouse 2 because the charging port is in a strange location). It looks odd when the mouse is plugged into a random charger and yet it still works to move the cursor.