Question About Used 3G IPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apollo1234, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Apollo1234 macrumors newbie

I'm a current AT$T wireless customer. I have 4 lines on a family plan with NO iphones. We have no data plans on any of our phones.

I work with a guy who's buying a new 3G S Iphone, and offered his 3G phone to me at a very good price.

I'd like the iPhone, but don't want a data package. Can I put my SIM card from my regular AT$T cell phone into the iPhone, and activate it using my home WiFi and use it without a data package?

As I understand AT$T will still know I'm using an IPhone. Would they add the data package to me automatically?

What are my options to use this on the AT$T plan I already have and not have a data package?

Thanks!

2. Stocktrader macrumors member

3. Apollo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no work arounds/options?

Zip/Zilch/Nadda?

4. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

im pretty sure you can just call at&t and have data taken off of your plan, or have it blocked or something so :p . either than or just tell them the IMEI of your old phone and it will work the same... but probably wouldnt get things like push... or visual voicemail

5. Apollo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard I could give them the IMEI from my old phone, but I'm confused by that.

Can't they tell what phone I'm using? Why would I give them the IMEI from an old qualifying phone, unless I'm trying to hide what phone I'm really using?

6. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

They can tell it's an iPhone and giving them an old IMEI number will only get you so far. When your phone registers on the network, they can see the real IMEI, the info from your SIM and other stuff. At some point, you are going to get put on an a iPhone data plan so if you don't want the data plan, then you should probably skip getting the iPhone.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

BTW: It's AT&T, not AT$T.

You cannot use your SIM card in an iPhone. The last time I tried it did not work. I don't think you can us it at all.

Post back if your experience is different.

8. Apollo1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

So one last question. There are many poeple using a used iPhone with ATT service. Does anyone really have an experience where they came back and charged you for this, or is it something they tell you not to do, but they don't do anything about?