Question about used macbook battery health

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fosa, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Fosa, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014

Fosa macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I am about to buy a used macbook mid 12. The owner sent me the picture of his battery condition and it says 42 load cycles, but the battery health is 84% and the maximum charge is under 5000 mah, is it normal? Also the battery state is full but the charge is at 97%, is there any problem? I want to have this macbook for years and i need the battery to last for hours, is this battery in good condition or it will need change soon? I attach the photo of the battery condition. Do you see anything strange?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. helix142 macrumors newbie

That capacity is a bit low. 42 cycles in 2 years, looks like they used it plugged in all the time which can diminish capacity. If it's a good price, a replacement battery is about $100.
    By comparison I have a 2010 macbook air here which has 336 cycles and is at 89.6%

Questions for others:
    If they "exercise" the battery by doing a couple of partial and complete cycles and then recalibrate, is it possible to bring up that capacity?
    How difficult is a battery replacement on a 2012 13" macbook pro?

3. Fosa thread starter macrumors newbie

The price is not that much low, and i dont want to change battery soon. I would like to see answers to your questions because i have exactly the same!