Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Ok I have a set of klipsch promedia 2.1's. i was going to buy a better set like the blue sky exo2's. but those will run me 450 + tax. then i thought i can get another set of promedia's for for 150 and a combined total of 300.

im satisfied with the sound quality of the promedia's. granted im not doing any serious mixing...i have a pair of sennheiser hd280 pros to consult with if necessary anyway. my main concern is that i want more output and to be able to use my promedias at lower levels, rather than pushing them to their limits in order to get the output i want.

so my question is would 2 sets of promedias running to a 3.5mm Y splitter to a 3.5mm - RCA cable into my m audio fast track sound ok? for one im wondering how the 2 sets will sound compared to the one. im guessing much louder and ill be able to run them at lower volume levels now, so less distortion etc..im thinking ill get some better sq this way. but also i was wondering will i lose any quality running the Y splitter and the 3.5mm to rca cable?

edit: will using this method still allow the L and R functionality of the speakers work?

Last edited:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You'll only get 3dB of boosting at higher frequencies, and a whole load of comb-filtering and other nasties. Distortion levels will be more than twice what they are at the moment...

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
You'll only get 3dB of boosting at higher frequencies, and a whole load of comb-filtering and other nasties. Distortion levels will be more than twice what they are at the moment...

yeah iv actually decided against this idea since i asked it. guess ill just have to save up for a pair of blue sky exo2's :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.