Question about using a Macbook Pro and external monitor.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairh, Jan 6, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey guys.

I'm contemplating purchasing a new monitor to use in conjunction with my mbp. My question is, can I keep the lid shut on the mbp and still use it with the monitor? My thinking it, I will boot up the mbp, while it's connected to the monitor, but then close the lid, and continue working via the monitor.

Can this work? This is the monitor I'm looking to get (HP LP2475w):

http://www.amazon.com/LP2475W-24in-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231273280&sr=8-1

2. damesJ macrumors member

as long as u have an external keyboard and mouse.. then yes.

3. macuser1997 macrumors member

Also look at the Dell 2408WFP. Gorgeous monitor with Mini DisplayPort.

4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

The HP LP2475w is an S-IPS vs. the Dell 2408WFP which is a S-PVA. Hence I'm going with the HP.

This video says I need to start up the MBP, then quickly shut the screen. If that is the case, how do you shut down the MBP when your done? Just via the external monitor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0rH7041TQ

I don't want to have the keyboard and mouse attached to the MBP. So can I connect them to the monitor instead?

5. samadam macrumors newbie

You don't need to do anything quickly. With your monitor plugged in and the laptop open, close the laptop. It will go to sleep, and the external monitor will too. Then press a button on your external keyboard. The laptop will wake up and use just the external monitor.

Edit: now that I see that youtube video, it's kind of funny. He does some complex thing...all you have to do is put it to sleep and hit the spacebar on your keyboard. I don't know how to boot the laptop when closed, but really, who shuts down a mac?

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

samadam,

thanks for your reply. can i just connect the keyboard and mouse to my monitor?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

Article: HT3131

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Thanks for this.

Here is my follow up question. My current PC configuration is a Dell tower and Dell LCD with a wired keyboard and mouse.

The HP LP2475w would replace the Dell LCD of course. Now given I keep everything the same (the Dell tower connected to the HP monitor, etc) can I just connect the MBP to the HP monitor, follow the steps above, and use the keyboard and mouse that is already plugged into the Dell tower?

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

What? No!

If the HP monitor acts as a simple hub and has only one plug for usb to go to a machine (such as the apple cinema display) then you won't be able to control your mbp and your desktop at the same time, just the one thats connected to it. DVI/HDMI/(mini)DP cannot forward usb.

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

The HP monitor has 4 usb ports. So I'm thinking if I just connect my keyboard and mouse via those ports instead of my Dell tower, then I can use both the MBP and Dell tower as I please without having to worry about the keyboard and mouse.

Does that sound right?

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Via USB to the monitor is OK!!

ie. MacBookPro →(USB)→ Monitor 1 →(USB)→ monitor 2 →(USB)→ keyboard
    alternatively... get a wireless Apple keyboard and mouse!

You can shutdown via the Apple Menu...

Attached Files:

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sounds right to me. I think the necessities are power, monitor, keyboard and mouse. The monitor USB ports are basically a powered hub, so it should be fine. I use the Apple wireless keyboard & mighty mouse for mine. It's definitely a better solution than the hilarious mock-ups I see of an Apple monitor with a 3-pound computer sliding in like a DVD. Just know that you'll sometimes have to hit the mouse button or a key on the keyboard to get it to "wake up" once everything is hooked up.

13. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I think I got it. This is how it would work:

My mouse has a usb port, so I can just attach that to the monitor and use the mouse for both the Dell tower and MBP. The keyboard is another issue. I just looked and it has a ps/2 connector. I'll just buy a converter and use that too.

But I'm almost positive that once I connect both the mouse and keyboard to the monitor, I'm good to go with both the Dell tower and MBP.

Any other yay's or nay's on that front?

14. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The HP is acting like a USB Hub. The KB & Mouse are plugged into the HP. In order for the KB & Mouse to work for both the Dell and MBP, you will need to switch the USB cable between the two depending on which one you are using.

Attached Files:

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

Or you could buy a KVM switch. With it you can use the same keyboard, monitor and mouse for both computers and switch between them by pressing a button.

[​IMG]

16. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

So when you go to power up the MBP, your method should be what ?

Open cover and push button and than close immediately ?

Just asking because I am in the same boat , have a Samsung 2233SW Monitor attached to the MBP and a wireless mighty mouse and a USB key board till I find an apple or compatible keyboard I like.

Forgot one thing, will it hurt the MBP to have the lid closed and go into sleep mode, in other words leave it on all the time, and or what settings are recommended

17. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey Michaelsviews,

No you don't need to do that. The Youtube video I linked prior said that was the way to do it, but apparently it is not needed. The answer lies in post number 7 of this thread. There is no need to quickly close the lid, etc.

After more contemplation, I realized I actually don't need my Dell tower at all. The only reason I wanted to save it was to use Microsoft Office. Instead of getting a KVM switch, I'm just going to ditch the tower entirely for the time being, and use my MBP. I'll just have to purchase m.office for my MBP.

Basically my setup will be the HP monitor, a cable connected to the MBP and HP monitor, with the keyboard and mouse connected via usb to the back of the monitor. This way all I need to do to detach the MBP and use it around my house is to detach the MBP's connection to the monitor, and I'm good to go.

I don't know the answer to your question about whether this is safe or not to do all the time, etc. I'm curious to know of any settings I should alter, and also if I can simply shutdown the MBP via the external monitor (if so, that is very cool).